Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Death of Lake Eduard (or, Loch Mess)

This weekend I finally conquered the mess that was Lake Eduard. I had been planning to fill the place with gravel just to end the need for walking the plank I had laid across it in a vain attempt to keep the dogs from getting soaked, but had to put that off when seeing the cost involved. Gravel is only about $16.00 a ton, and I needed at least three tons. Delivery by dump truck was about $90.00, more than the cost of the gravel I needed. I had to wait until I could spare the money to get it. Fortune finally smiled upon me, however, when Dad called me on Thursday afternoon to see if I still needed gravel. He had some on a job that he needed to get off site. I could have it if I went and picked it up. It required time and I'd have to shovel it into the truck, but time and labor I got. Money I don't. So on Friday and Saturday I made a few trips to the site and managed to get six truckloads of gravel before my rapidly aging body went on strike. I later began the attack on the lake. I was able to cover most of it. At day's end on Saturday the lake was no more. As fate would have it rain fell most of the day on Sunday, and the Lake gave one last wet, defiant gasp. The water was only about an inch over the top of the gravel, and once the rain stopped it drained off enough that you couldn't see it. The new pump took care of the rest. It's nice to be able to walk out to the garage without balancing on my makeshift boardwalk. Abby is upset, though. She no longer gets to wallow in the mud and leave interesting patterns of soil on the carpet. The gravel has put an end to all that. It's not pretty, but it's a temporary fix. Hopefully next year I'll be able to find the money to rent a Bobcat or a Backhoe for a day. The back yard needs some serious grading to control the drainage. Ok. I'd come up with any excuse to use heavy equipment, but I really do need it. While doing it all with a shovel and a wheelbarrow would result in a physique that would put the Bowflex models to shame, it would take me forever to get it done. Can you imagine that? Still digging up the yard at my 40th birthday? Totally buff and growing out my hair?

"What is the meaning of Life?"




"To crush your honey-do list, to see it driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the dogs." (It's more impressive if you read that with an Austrian accent.)

2 comments:

Joanna & Ben said...

i love the picture, too funny

Ed Donbrosky said...

I only look like a middle-aged balding guy in public. I hide my true physique well.