Saturday, February 20, 2010

Reign of Fire

Once again I am still awake and kicking at 1:30 in the morning. Night seems to be my best time to get studying done. I get a lot of practice with the AutoCad and Revit software. Cool stuff. I need all the practice I can get right now, especially since Midterms have snuck up on us and start in just another week.
Meg is sleeping just outside the door of this room. I can tell she is in a deep sleep, as she seems to be chasing someone or something. You only see this kind of activity when she is asleep. When she's awake she is much less animated. Dude! Now she's growling and showing some teeth! Still asleep, though. I'll have to make sure not to startle her when I leave. Here's a picture of her from the last snowstorm. That is one miserable little dog, right there. I think she would have loved snow when she was younger, but now she just hates it. Heather informed me that Meg will hit the big 1-2 on Monday.


The Pinchbeck Elementary Second grade classes celebrated Chinese New Year, today. We went to the school for the parade of the dragons. All of the kids made dragon heads to wear out of cardboard boxes. We spent the last week working on Emily's. It turned out all right. Had to modify the box a bit, and I painted the scales on it. Emily cut out all of the details and we glued them on.
They had to hold me back. Dragons breathe fire, so I was all set to hook up a propane tank to this bad boy until I realized that it is, after all, only made of cardboard. Yeah. That would not have worked very well. Not to mention that if Emily is anything like me she would have left a trail of fiery destruction everywhere she went. Visually awesome, but would probably have gotten us both expelled from school.

Some pictures of the parade. This doesn't show all of the kids. It was quite the parade.



Ok. A picture of me from the last snowstorm. I look almost as miserable as Meg. I know you're asking, "Why is Ed shovelling the driveway when the roads aren't even passable?" To which I reply "I needed the exercise." Well, not really. The idea was that I would keep shovelling it as it snowed so that I wouldn't have to work really hard when the snow finally stopped. It did work. During the snow it was much easier to remove two or three inches at a time than the final 14, or so. In fact, when the sun came out on Sunday it all melted off where I had already shovelled, so I didn't need to go out and shovel again. It's all finally melting off, now. Still a lot of it around, but I'm ready for it to go. I love the snow, but only when it first comes down. It's fun, then. Once it gets all slushy and dirty it's no fun, anymore.
I don't know if my yard will every dry out. It's already so soggy it's difficult to walk on. It still has about two or three inches of snow on it, in some places. It's almost time to start planting bulbs for the spring, but I think if I do so the bulbs will end up rotting since the soil won't drain. I may just have to pot them, for now.

2 comments:

Joanna & Ben said...

I saw tons of tissue paper and cardboard on friday and I was wondering what was up. Thanks for filling me in. they all looked really cool though. Meg is getting old dude, but if she can still chase people or things down in her dreams, she's doing all right.

AuntKatween said...

Awesome looking dragon head!!!