Sunday, January 24, 2010

Of Dumps, Dentists, and Dogs...

I managed to get quite a bit done, this last week. Last Monday was a holiday, so I spent most of that day cleaning out and organizing the garage. It's still a little too crowded to actually work in there, but it's better. I eventually want to build a small shed behind the garage to keep the bikes and lawnmower and yard tool in. They take up a lot of floor space in the garage. I've also have several items of BETCO equipment in the garage.

I finally got a truckload of junk that I took to the dump on Saturday. It's nice to be rid of all that. I started to work on the laundry room cabinets that day, as well. It was cold, but sunny and clear. Unfortunately by late afternoon the clouds were rolling in and as it got darker it got a lot colder. I finally had to pack it all up for the weekend. I have the cabinet as it is sitting in the laundry room to make sure that it fit. I still have to add a couple of shelves and the cabinet facing. Then the top and sink will be installed. I still need to start the pantry cabinets that will be installed on the opposite wall.



I've been brainstorming about the setup of the family room. I finally dug out the treadmill, and the girls can't stay off of it. Which is ok, they need the exercise. We're going to paint the wood panelling in the family room. This is just temporary, since a lot of the panelling is not in that great of shape and is popping loose in a lot of places. The ceiling is covered in that infernal popcorn texture, which I absolutely hate. No, a better word would probably be loathe....I loathe popcorn ceilings. I just don't have it in me to do another major renovation for a little while. So we're just going to paint it. I drew up some furniture that I'd like to make for the room. I need to finesse the plans a little bit, but it would be fun to make some. Maybe I'll get them scanned and loaded into the blog.

The girls had a dental appointment, this morning. I'm not sure who suffers more- the girls, the dentist and his assistants, or me. Emily actually did ok, but Amanda ended up being held down for a minute to get her teeth cleaned. Thankfully, there were no cavities. I could seriously consider kiddie tranquilizers, if there is such a thing, for future visits.

I used to have the same problem with one of my dogs when I took him to the vet. This is Lincoln.



The first time we took him to the vet he freaked out. He was barking and whining and fighting when the vet was trying to give him his shots. It took several people to hold him down. Strong little guy. After that the vet wouldn't see Lincoln unless we tranquilized him (the dog) first. He prescribed us some tranquilizers that pacified Lincoln somewhat, but as a result he moved around like the poster child for a police roadside sobriety check. We gave it to him one Fourth of July when we went over a friend's house. The fireworks would usually set him off. He was staggering around, bumping into things, barking with a lisp (Woopth! Woopth!) and picking fights with the other dogs. Of course, he got his butt kicked, but he kept getting up and going back for more. He certainly wasn't the brightest light in the harbor, even when sober. Abbey reminds me of him. He was a runner, a jumper, a digger and a chewer...sounds like a song.

To the tune of Space Cowboy by the Steve Miller Band:

'Cause I'm a runner, I'm a jumper, I'm a digger and I'm a chewer...Get my barks out in the sun...

1 comment:

Martha said...

LOL! I was singing that in my head!