Saturday, December 20, 2008

Episode 10: Let There Be Light!

Busy day for me. I've probably made more progress today than I have in the past couple of weeks. I gave up on trying to get the plumbing done anytime soon. Lake Eduard is still at respectable levels, although it is now sporting a canal that helps to drain some of the water off. I decided to work around it for now and run the electrical to the laundry room. Hopefully by the time that is done I'll be able to get that waste line run. I spent the day crawling through the attic and pulling wire. I wired the light and switch to the laundry room, as well as the new dryer and washing machine outlets. Then I installed the new breakers and tied in the lines. I am pleased to say that the light in the laundry room works, as do the outlets. I followed that up by running a new line to tie into the family room. All of these rooms were originally wired on the same circuit. I had a pretty scary mess to work with in the old electrical box. I started by pulling out all of the wires that were not connected to anything. Then I pulled out the lines that were running to fixtures that would be moving, or just removed altogether. That cleaned things up quite a bit. I just have to run new lines to the upstairs bedrooms, and then I can wire the kitchen. I have not really added new lines to the panel, since I removed some in the demo. I feel better, though, knowing that now we have some new wiring that has been correctly wired. There was some scary stuff in that electrical box, even more than I originally thought.

Here are some of the first views of the new laundry room.


This view is looking in from the family room towards the back of the house. The plywood is covering the old doorway into the former storage closet. The plumbing will be run up into this space, and a small sink will be installed. There will be a window put in as well as some base cabinets and counter top space. I will be replacing the exterior sheathing, since it has rotted at the bottom. The patio had been raised up so high with all of the concrete that water was able to get up into the siding. Since the patio has been busted out (half of it, anyway) the water is no longer getting that high. We will be buying the front load dryer to match our washing machine so we can stack the two units to save space.


Another view from the family room doorway. It looks like a decent space, now, but once cabinets start going it it will fill up quite quickly. The brown line on the floor is where the original wall stood. We will be tiling the floor.

This is a view from the old doorway. Not much to see, here.


OK. So that is my report for today. For this coming week I hope to have most of the electrical work completed, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to work on the plumbing next weekend. I want this kitchen finished! As helpful as Meggie is, she'd be more help if she'd actually do some work...like digging the ditch for the plumbing. Oh, great. There she goes with the glowing eye weirdness, again. I'll leave you with that image. Excuse me...I am having trouble ordering my thoughts for some reason...
I don't need the dog to dig a ditch...These aren't the droids we are looking for...She can go about her business....

No comments: