Saturday, December 6, 2008

Episode 8: Trench Warfare

As I dug up more of the kitchen (yes, the kitchen) floor yesterday afternoon, it dawned on me that this is no longer a mere kitchen renovation. This has gone beyond simple paint and replacement cabinets. This has evolved into something more dramatic and sinister.


This is war.


I wanted to just put everything back where it was and give up, but Project Manager Meggie would hear nothing of the sort. So, under her slave-driving guidance I have broken up a little more of the floor in order to have room to install the new plumbing. Meggie decided that while I was at it I should pull up part of the bathroom, as well. I told her that she was out of her mind and refused, until she threatened to bite me in the butt. Fortunately for me, Dad came over to give some guidance, and I liked his plans much better.




Here are a couple of views of the damage. I have cut out part of the chase wall in order to access the plumbing a little more easily. I have removed some of the pipes and wires that were left in the wall from previous renovations. I will need to continue digging and removing the dirt to the yard. I will be backfilling with gravel when the time comes.

Lake Eduard still has a lot of water in it. It was iced over this morning. I had attempted to pump out the water on Thursday evening, and I was able to get most of it out, but it filled up again overnight. There must be a lot of water in the ground. It came up from the ground in the trench I dug in the kitchen, as well. I'm going to have to dig a sump well to help drain the water. I'm hoping to be able to have everything ready to replace the wastelines by Friday. If I can start it sooner I will. The only problem is that both bathrooms run on the same waste stack. I can't have them disconnected for too long, so anything I start will have to be finished the same day.


Another view of the carnage. It looks a little cleaner now that I've removed the outer framing and the old boiler pipes. There was also some electrical wiring that was not connected to anything. I still have to remove the old gas lines.

We had more snow, this evening. It was coming down pretty hard for a while. Some of it accumulated on the grass and on the cars, but nothing stuck to the roads or sidewalks. We might actually have a decent snow this winter. My kids would love to see that. With the hill in our back yard it would be nice to let them go sledding.

1 comment:

Lildonbro said...

Project Manager Meggie is a beast! She's obviously overpaid. :)