Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Episode 5: Freezin' My Asphalt Off!!!!

Today was my first day back at work in a month. No problems with the hands, so I think I'm good to go. I started out my day cleaning up in the shop and trying to make some room for the lighting for the office addition. Around noon, I drove the backhoe to one of our jobsites. Boy, did I wish I had some more layers of clothes. When standing in the parking lot at the office, it's not that cold. In the open cab of the backhoe, once you get on the open road and that wind hits you, it's freezing!!! One of the guys lent me a full face hood. Thank goodness he did. With the hood and my sunglasses, the only exposed part of my face was my mouth. I kindof had to keep my lips sucked in to keep them from freezing.

I got back to the shop around 12:30 and had lunch, then back out into the weather to spread some asphalt in the road across from the boss' house. The road was shaded, and it was windy, so once again I was much chillier than anticipated. We were waiting for about an hour for the dump truck with the asphalt to show, so we got a little cold. Once the truck arrived, however, it warmed up plenty! The temperature of the asphalt is about 1300 degrees, according to my supervisor. Working with that warmed us up, for sure. By the time we were done with that, it was time to go home. Tomorrow I will have a hooded sweatshirt with me.

I pulled down some more drywall in the kitchen. I'm trying to determine where all of the electrical lines are currently running. That mess will need some cleaning up, too. I want to have all of the drywall pulled down by the weekend, so I can start working on any framing I need to do. I still have to dig a trench for the washing machine drain, but Lake Eduard is still at a high. Maybe there will be ice on it in the morning.

Then the dog can skate across.

2 comments:

Lildonbro said...

Skate across and smack into the window as she goes for a piece of dropped food? :)

P.S. how come you follow Kathryn's blog but not mine? ...offended

Ed Donbrosky said...

The dog has been known to do that. Sweet dog, but not very bright. I call her Meggie the Pooh- the dog of little brain.


P.S. I'm following now...sorry.

Really, Really, Really sorry.